What is Therapeutic Touch?
Therapeutic Touch® is a non-invasive complementary modality developed in the 1970’s by Dolores Krieger, Ph.D., R.N., NYU Professor Emeritus and Dora van Gelder Kunz. It is a practice based on the conscious use of intention to direct or modulate for therapeutic purposes, universal energy that activates the human body’s natural healing process and assist in rebalancing the energy field. The basis for this modality is outlined in the Basic Assumptions. Direct touch to the recipient is not required.
The Practician, acting as a facilitator, provides the client with the opportunity to regain a balanced energy flow. For Practicians, "doing" Therapeutic Touch is more than just movement and response, it is a way of living, a philosophy and it moves through our lives bringing us to a greater understanding and contact with our world.
The origins of Therapeutic Touch
Therapeutic Touch was developed by Dolores Krieger, Ph.D., R.N. and Dora Kunz, and was first taught in 1972 to some of Dr. Krieger's graduate student nurses. Complementary Health Care includes energy modalities such as Therapeutic Touch. Many Canadian hospitals, Cancer Care Centers, Hospice/Palliative Care, and nursing homes have implemented the practice of Therapeutic Touch by volunteer Registered Practicians. Research and implementation of Therapeutic Touch has resulted in recognition and acceptance as a healing modality internationally. Therapeutic Touch is easily learned through classes with registered teachers of Therapeutic Touch and includes a variety of professional clinicians and lay people world wide.
Basic Assumptions of Therapeutic Touch
- Human beings are open, complex pan-energy systems. We are constantly changing energy with others and the energy around us. It is important as open systems that we can readily affect the flow, the better the flow, the better the health.
- In a state of health, life energy flows freely in, through and out the organism in a balanced, bilaterally symmetrical manner.
- Illness is an imbalance in an individual's energy field. An energy imbalance can be an indication of illness in the body when the energy flow is interrupted and unable to flow naturally.
- Human beings have the natural ability to transform and transcend their condition of living. As human beings we are able to change, working with the principle that energy follows thought, we can choose to make change happen.
- Healing is a natural potential that can be actualized under the appropriate circumstances. Human beings have the natural ability to heal themselves. By restoring and balancing the field we can effect the flow of energy to improve our condition of living.
How does Therapeutic Touch work?
The underlying direction of the Basic Assumptions concludes that energy fields can be disrupted by an injury, operation or emotional upset. Balance can return when the energy field is introduced to a healing methodology.
Having successfully attained accredited training, a Therapeutic Touch Practician will follow these basic steps in each session:
- ground* and center by quieting the mind through relaxation techniques, which allows the practician through heightened awareness, to pick up cues from the client's energy field
- ground* and through assessment, passing one's hands through the client's energy field, determine areas of imbalance (if any), smooth/clear the areas of imbalance with sweeping motions of the hands reminding the field of its directional flow
- if required, the Practician, with the act of intention, helps direct the Universal energy (not personal energy) into these areas until balance is restored
- to complete the session, reassess and ground* the client's energy field
* Grounding is a way of extending one's energy body down into the earth to keep oneself solidly rooted/stable. Grounding connects you to the energy of the earth.
Therapeutic Touch does NOT diagnose illness, nor is it meant to take the place of sound medical advice. Therapeutic Touch was developed to complement traditional Western medicine. If your physician has any concerns about you receiving Therapeutic Touch treatments while under their care, you can direct them to this website or contact us. Therapeutic Touch can be used in many different settings.
What is Universal energy?
Universal or Life Force energy is the natural energy that flows through all living organisms and is the purest form of energy known. As practicians work from a center of compassion and caring, they are directing the universal energy through the act of intention.
Some of the benefits of Therapeutic Touch
Listed below are some of the benefits of this energy healing modality which have been documented in research studies and specific applications it has been applied to, but more importantly has been observed by Practicians and enjoyed by recipients.
- Improved immune system
- Preceived sense of pain is lessened
- Improved wound healing
- Improved coping abilities